Why should I wear retainers after my orthodontic treatment?
Without exception, all patients in our practice go through the retention phase of treatment.
Retention begins when the braces are removed. If the teeth are not maintained in their corrected position, they will begin to move over a period of time.
Patients in the retention phase are seen periodically in our office for two years after braces are removed. Once the follow-up period is over, please call the office if a problem should occur.
Typically, a removable retainer is worn 24 hours for the first two days, then at night for the next few years.
A bonded retainer should be worn permanently until further notice. Please call our office if there are any concerns.
For best long term results after an orthodontic treatment;
Wear your retainer as prescribed
Don't let it get bent or otherwise damaged
Call for a repair appointment if it is damaged or loosened
Keep it clean, floss regularly
Keep it in its case when not being worn
Be committed to maintaining your beautiful smile
A frequent appliance that we often use after an orthodontic treatment is a bonded wire permanently fixed to the bottom teeth.
- It consists of a metal wire which is glued to the lingual portion of your lower teeth.
- This appliance is meant to stay for several years and should not result in any bad hygiene if it is done properly by the patient.
- If it should un glue partially ou completely the patient must call our office immediately so we may evaluate if the appliance can or should be re-glued on the teeth.
- Do not throw away the wire ,bring it with you to your appointment.
The orthodontist will determine which retainer is more appropriate for you. For the maxilla we often use a removable clear appliance called Essix.
- The Essix appliance is a clear gutter which covers your top teeth.
- This appliance must also be worn all day for the first 2 days (removed when eating and brushing), and then at night only for the next 2 years .
- After a long period of time it may have areas in which it may wear off but that does not make it more efficient.
- In case of breakage or loss please contact our office immediately.
- In some cases this appliance can also be customized for the bottom teeth ,
We use another type of removable appliance called the Hawley.
- It is made of acrylic and has hooks on the sides as well as a metal wire on the front which is used to clamp on your back molars in order to hold in place and keep your teeth straight
- It must also be worn all day for the first 2 days and then at night only for at least 2 years or according to your orthodontist's recommendations